The UroLift® System is a new alternative to medications and surgery to treat BPH
This minimally invasive approach to treating BPH lifts or holds the enlarged prostate tissue out of the way so it no longer blocks the urethra, relieving urinary symptoms. Permanent implants are inserted utilizing a special delivery device and act like “window curtain tie-backs,” holding the lobes of the enlarged prostate open to relieve obstruction of the urethra. There is no cutting, heating, or removal of prostate tissue involved.
The UroLift Procedure - What You Can Expect
One of Chesapeake Urology's specially trained urologists will perform the UroLift procedure. This outpatient procedure is typically performed in the physician's office under local anesthesia.
An enlarged prostate (pictured above) can narrow or even block the urethra, causing urinary symptoms associated with BPH.
Step 1: The UroLift Delivery Device is placed through the obstructed urethra to access the enlarged prostate.
Step 2: Small UroLift implants are permanently placed to lift or hold the enlarged prostate tissue out of the way and increase the opening of the urethra. The permanent implants are delivered through a small needle that comes out of the UroLift Delivery Device and into the prostate.
Step 3: The UroLift Delivery Device is removed, leaving an open urethra designed to provide symptom relief.
Advantages of the UroLift System
- Minimally invasive procedure with minimal downtime in normal daily activities
- Outpatient procedure which can be done under local or light sedation
- No catheter placement is needed
- Only treatment that preserves sexual function – typically, no sexual side effects such as erectile dysfunction or ejaculatory dysfunction
- Covered by almost all insurance carriers, and reduces ongoing medication costs
- Lower urinary tract symptom relief in as early as two weeks after treatment
- Hematuria (blood in urine)
- Temporary urge incontinence
- Temporary urinary urgency
- Temporary pelvic pain
- Very rarely, migrated clips may need to be removed